Quilts

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What a day.

The wind has been howling all morning, whipping the snow into troughs and drifts that undulate over the land.  Jason came in.  He had driven the loader tractor home after he fed the cattle this morning because he didn't know if he would be able to get back over here in his 4WD pickup.  He lives about 5 miles due east of here and the roads are drifting with snow.  The cattle are standing near the hay racks, their backs to the wind.  It is really bad for them when it gets like this.  They always survive, but I feel badly for them.  They have to be fed silage in the morning and then Jason puts out lots of hay for them to get them through until tomorrow morning.  As long as they have enough to eat they stay warm.

When he came into my hallway, he just insisted that I put my clothes on and come out with him.  It was horrible walking across the yard.  There is either slick ice, or deep snow to traverse................and all the while the wind is whipping snow in your face.  I thought I would never get to the machine shed.  Once in the shelter from the wind, it wasn't too bad.  This is what Jason wanted to show me:


This dog has been hanging around the past few days and Jason has been feeding it.  He is huge, but seems to like women.  He came to me, but was wary of Jason.  He looks like a ghost dog, especially when he is in the snow.  To make a long story short, he is in my mudroom.  He smells a little skunky so he is not coming into the house.  But I think he appreciates the shelter from this storm.  I had a few little sausages in my refrigerator that I gave him.  He is beginning to dry out some.  I don't know how long he will stay in my mudroom.  I just realized that I have a whole ham hanging out there.  I wonder how long it will be before he discovers it.  Perhaps I had better move it.

See how the snow is drifted in some spots and the ground is ice covered in others.


Notice that there is very low visibility.  This is definitely a blizzard.  Please stay in if you possibly can.  I worry about Jason having to come over to feed the cows.

Jason was without power this morning for about 2 hours, but I have been fine so far.  I washed all of my dishes, made a cake for the kids, and did some things on the computer.  I have all the information off the computer so I can do my W-2's and W-3's.  That was on my to do list today.  I hope my electricity stays on. 



2 comments:

  1. oh bless your heart up there in all that weather! I know that dog is grateful, and I hope he doesn't eat your ham, and maybe becomes a new helping hand around the farm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a beautiful dog, might make a good addition to your house. If he likes women, he might be your guardian. My yellow lab is like that! Take care, I am going to try to get out and take pictures today but we have a fort around the house thanks to mother nature.
    Mylene

    ReplyDelete