Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Moonflower Vine started with 2 fabrics, one green and the other red/purple. I traced the pattern from the magazine onto paper backed fusible web and ironed it onto the wrong side of the darker fabric. With sharp tiny scissors, I carefully cut out the pattern along my traced lines including the semicircle. I then moved the red/purple semicircle to the green fabric and fused it, and placed and fused the purple cutout onto the green. I then fused a green semicircle onto the red/purple and carefully arranged and fused the purple vine onto the green semicircle. It is easy and lots of fun. If I use raw edge applique like this, I "quilt it to death" to keep the edges from fraying or moving. There are many patterns out now for positive/negative manipulation of fabric. Try a small project and see if you like it. It is really fun!