Quilts

Friday, October 1, 2010

Pokeberry

This is one of my favorite things to see in the fall.  This Pokeberry plant came up outside my laundry room window and I thought it was so beautiful that I allowed it to flourish there.  Some years it got almost 10 feet tall.  I love this plant so much because of the beautiful colors.  The stalk and branches are a rich deep red/purple and the berries are a beautiful blue/purple.  This plant is toxic to mammals, so don't eat the berries or the stalk.  Some people have eaten the new leaves ........................have you heard of poke salad?   However, I wouldn't eat any of it.  The birds love the berries and if you crush them, they make a beautiful reddish purple dye.  Hope you get to enjoy seeing a pokeberry plant this fall.

1 comment:

  1. They are fine until you get the berries caught between you and the lawnomwer. Nice beautiful purple tattoo that does not wash off! And your husband asking how close you got to things you shouldn't be mowing around!
    Mylene

    ReplyDelete