Quilts

Monday, October 25, 2010

Iowa

Do you remember American Gothic, by
Grant Wood?  Grant Wood was an American Regionalist that painted scenes from life in Iowa.  I really love his work.  My friend, Marilyn and I were in SE and Central Iowa this weekend and we were driving through this little town and I saw a sign that said, "American Gothic House".  Without even asking Marilyn----I was driving her car, I turned to follow the signs.  This is what we saw:


It was, indeed, the house with the Gothic window-----a rare scene in Iowa.  I really loved central Iowa.  We stayed on a farm and the land was very flat, dotted with farms with huge old white farmhouses and big barns on them.  The people were so lovely...................I think I would move there in a minute!  We also saw this:



a buffalo.........................



that allowed me to walk up to him and give him a bite of prairie grass. ..........and...................


a windmill in Pella just down the street from a quilt shop where I bought.....................


this panel to make a fall table covering.  I won't mention the other fabric  I bought.







2 comments:

  1. What an amzing big buffalo is!! It's as big as elepant.. It looks like emerge from cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were talking about Marilyn (the other one) not being in church on Sunday, glad to know she was in good hands and you all had such a great time! The buffalo was amazing (and so tame!) and glad you stopped in Pella. I would love to go there sometime to see all the flowers they have. AND I LOVE the panel you bought, beautiful fall theme.
    Mylene

    ReplyDelete